View previous topicGo downView next topic
Spritan
Spritan

Choreography

on 11/5/2015, 11:12 pm
I suspect the more prolific animators just improvise their action scenes. Which is something I can do, but...I don't think I could follow through if I just went with whatever was on the top of my head. Too ephemeral.

I need a plan. Guidelines for a meaningful goal. There's got to be some kinda of principles of an action scene. Just like Animation has design principles about arcs and motion. Something to direct my decision making process.
But the only wisdom I've found on the subject of action scenes is on pacing. Start off slow, then gradually make the action beats happen faster and faster, or just bigger and flashier, towards the climax.

Got any other tips?
How do you make decisions for what the characters should do? Do the characters just take turns and jump onto moving trains for show? I can kinda answer my own questions with common sense, but I'm crossing my fingers someone will surprise me with something I wouldn't think of.
View user profilehttp://www.youtube.com/user/sonicXrules123

Re: Choreography

on 11/5/2015, 11:38 pm
When it comes to fights I usually just improvise. There's no rhyme or reason as to what I make my characters do. However, as of recently, I tend to try and plan ahead as to what I'm going to make my characters do.

Most movies, TV shows and such do story boarding and plan out the entire fight before hand so there's little room to improvise. However, these are sprites and no one wants to put that much effort into planing out every single detail, however, some planning is important.

My process is a little bit like this: I think about how I want my fight to start and how I want it to end. I also think about how long I'd like the fight to be and from there on I begin placing my characters and think about how I want the fight to pan out.

But knowing the beginning and ending of a fight, or just anything is important. Very important because that's how your fight will progress. If your fight just goes from ocean to beach, from beach to city, from city to air so on and so forth you won't really have an idea for a decisive ending, nothing to build up to.

For example, in my video Sonic vs Zatch, the song I chose wasn't just "hey this sounds neat, I'll throw it in there." I chose it because A.) I liked the song B.) I liked its intensity and its flow and C.) I liked the songs finale (the part at 2:28) because it felt perfectly paced for an ending finale.

I knew how I wanted the fight to end before I even started making it. When I know my beginning and end, the rest of it I just improvise and plan a couple steps ahead so I know I'm not getting ahead of myself and plan too much. and in my opinion, it turned out geat. It's one of my most popular flashes.

anyway, that's just how I do things.

ADOPT A CHAO!!
(figuratively speaking of course)
Administrator
Administrator

on 11/6/2015, 9:30 am
I had something amazing to say this. I had 4 paragraphs typed out. My post was gonna cure cancer. Then my mouse somehow clicked on the page as I was backspacing so I lost all my words.

Anyway, to summarize what I was typing out.

Basically, there's pretty much an infinite directions you could go with at any give time. Some directions are better than others but because there's infinitely many directions you will literally never choose the best direction, only really good directions. The most important thing that I was saying before all my shit got backspaced out of existence was that whatever direction you choose, make sure it's a direction you're happy with. If you go a certain direction and realize you don't like it, don't be afraid to go back and go a different direction. Whatever direction you choose be happy with it, because at the end of the day you're animating because you have something you want to see and you want others to see.

That's kinda why animations are so personal. Whatever decision you go it was a decision YOU chose to make in YOUR animation. For example, with the pacing thing. You can certainly start off an action scene fast and then slow it down, but you're correct in that there should be sorta be a climax that the animation builds up to.

Like SXR said though, you do want to make sure you know how it'll start and end and you should probably have an idea of any critical spots in the animation such as the climax and building/falling tension areas.

on 11/6/2015, 4:42 pm
i don't think there's any specific guidelines for fights. at least i haven't seen any. i think it would lead to some very formulaic fights if you followed them all the time though.

i agree with the overall message here - plan important points and figure out the rest by improvising.
the reason you improvise the rest is because sometimes you can't quite do something in one way, so it's fine to trash all of it and try again, because it's just another scene. not so easy to do with more important points in the animation.

in my case, these days i think music is pretty important to an animation, so one of the first things i do is pick a song. it's a very big influence on pacing so i try to keep my timing close to the song's BPM rate.
i can start without one, but i still pick some kind of BPM rate and stick to it. doing this also makes picking another song an easy task, since now all i have to do is pick songs with a similar speed and that's it.
Administrator
Administrator

on 11/7/2015, 11:07 pm
@Rapidfir3Pho3nix wrote:I had something amazing to say this. I had 4 paragraphs typed out. My post was gonna cure cancer. Then my mouse somehow clicked on the page as I was backspacing so I lost all my words.
fixed pal [:

Spritan
Spritan
View user profilehttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJMXtpQUTAA2kNWj_dwWnAhttps://twitter.com/abxelic

on 11/8/2015, 8:48 am
When I make my fights I spend a few minutes visualizing the entire sequence. I make a note for my favorite parts in order to ensure they'll be in the movie no matter what, even if I have to custom for it to be possible, after all those scenes will be the highlight of the battle. everything else is usually enter-changeable for me.

My upcoming projects

Captain Falcon vs Bang Shishigami: 4%      Vergil vs Sephiroth: 60%      

Killer Instinct Origins: TJ Combo:10%        Dragonclaw vs Evil Ryu Remake: 10%

Lloyd vs Kratos:13%                Kratos vs Cloud:10%        Ryu Hyabusa custom sprites:1%
Spritan
Spritan

on 12/8/2015, 5:56 pm
Uncommon, let me know if you're still active and view this thread so I can give you my input. It's nothing special, but it's what I've taken from professional methods that you'll see in animations commercially or in the film industry, and how I've implement the principles into my animations.

@darkdragon581 wrote:ping, i don't see you getting 'boodie' anytime soon, i don't care if your black, its most likely not going to happen
Administrator
Administrator

on 12/8/2015, 6:31 pm
@Ping wrote:Uncommon, let me know if you're still active and view this thread so I can give you my input. It's nothing special, but it's what I've taken from professional methods that you'll see in animations commercially or in the film industry, and how I've implement the principles into my animations.

you could...you could still write it out ya know.

there are other people who will probably view this thread and it could help them out
Spritan
Spritan

on 12/9/2015, 10:25 am
I check in once in awhile.
I feel kinda stupid. Here I am thinking, "Gosh, if only there were some sort of design principles to Choreography that I could follow. Guess I'll just spend forever breaking down and analyzing videos to figure it all out for myself. If only there was a way to SEARCH for Principles of Choreography..."

[Dog walks with a leash]

"No Google. I just played with you. We don't need to go for a walk. "

[sad whimper]
View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum