View previous topicGo downView next topic
Spritan
Spritan

What's the most polite way to say hi?

on 6/11/2015, 10:17 am
Might as well make a checklist of all the goodness I want to cover, if I've learned anything about my memory skills... Man those emotions over there on the left while I'm typing this are distracting... Oh, look I've already gone off topic within two sentences.

This is going to be good, I can feel it.

So, checklist:

-Who I am
-My own kick starter to my artistic hobbies in general
-Middle school Neopets adventure happenings
-Early sprite animation exposure
-Personal Projects
-Why I'm joining basically

That it? I think so.

So first, I'm a Canadian 18 year old tomboy living on a farm with my parents while I work my way through a computer science degree. You can call my first name Lacey, or Palooka from my username, or Pally as an abbreviation, don't care as long it's respectful. Oh, I'm a little bit francophone too, but I've been told that I'm only at a basic+ level with my french so it's probably best not to bother trying to have a conversation in french with me.

Since the age of two I've loved Pokemon and I would practice my very limited drawing skills by trying to bring these then only around 200 critters to life and I have a sister nine years older than myself who, when I was drawing Pokemon at the age of three told me I had talent, years later even going so far as saying I could be good at animation if I tried. Evident in how I still remember her telling me that, her words stuck like glue. Back when I was five, one of my other older siblings burnt a whole bunch of Super Nintendo Entertainment System games onto a CD disk that we used to play on our old, huge, blocky, computer. I'm not even sure where the disk is now, but either way no computer can read it anymore I'm pretty sure. Anyways, I got to try a handful that were on it and what really stood out to child me was Kirby's Dreamland 3, with it's pastel art style and cute little animal friends how could I resist? So basically I've been hooked on Kirby and Pokemon games for life.

In my early double digit age I was introduced to the Neopets website where I learned character development skills and basic spriting skills from a number of small communities I made myself a part of. My sprites back then were hideous recolours, but playing with pixels was fun.
Wow, I summarized that pretty quickly. Why couldn't I do that earlier?

Somewhere shortly after outgrowing Neopets I stumbled upon some Kirby based sprite animations on YouTube, made by DestructionSeries and it clicked. Animation was limited to drawings in my mind before, but now I was seeing an animation done with sprites. It seemed too good to be true. And in a way I was right because being able to make even decent quality stuff takes practice when you're a little nooblette.

Long story short my artistic skills as a whole have improved since then, notably my sprite work obviously but there's still a lot I'm not perfect at. Regardless I enjoy working with sprites over digital drawings and sometimes even my own pencil doodles just because I enjoy it. Animating on the other hand, I don't have the software to practice, but hey, a girl can dream right?

Ohhh right, my projects. My major work I plan to complete for sure will be this series about my Kirby Fan Character, Lamine, and before I spoil my own plot ideas, I'm going to title it Until Death do Us Part. I'm still not sure if it'll be a comic or animation, or even sprited or hand drawn. So much to choose from.

So all in all why am I here? I am here to give myself an excuse to sprite. I'm not always energetic and ready to go, so being with people who are on a similar page and watching you all improve will make me want to contribute as well.

Thanks for reading all that if you did. Man you are stubborn for not getting distracted and leaving.

- This has been Pally, saying that I look forward to meeting all of you.

Re: What's the most polite way to say hi?

on 6/11/2015, 12:42 pm
Welcome to the site! I'm also a Canadian working through a computer science degree! Hopefully we can help make your series a reality, just ask us questions in the help forum.

Spritan
Spritan

Re: What's the most polite way to say hi?

on 6/11/2015, 3:46 pm
@BDB wrote:Welcome to the site! I'm also a Canadian working through a computer science degree! Hopefully we can help make your series a reality, just ask us questions in the help forum.
This quoting business seems to be the correct way to reply to someone around here Thank you for welcoming me, although I'll have to finish the story board before I go asking for any favors from you guys. Thank you for the heads up though, I'll keep the help forum in mind.
View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum