View previous topicGo downView next topic
Spritan
Spritan

Transparent with a White Background?

on 4/24/2014, 10:33 am
I need help, yesterday I spent 2 hours trying to make my first animation. And from what I learned you can either Save the sprites with a transparent background or copy and paste them from where you are editing them to Flash. I seen that everyone is mostly using Fireworks for that one. But I only have Photoshop so used that. Now when I delete the colored background and made a 2nd layer behind it which is transparent, all I did was highlighted what I wanted to copy and paste it to Flash. Now I wanted the sprites to be aligned so I turned onion skin on and as soon I had the 2nd sprite ontop of the first one there was a white background!
It was like a magic white background out of nowhere!

Now I experimented and actually saved the different sprites and did the same process and it worked, the 2nd sprite didn't have a white background (And this is actually before and after doing trace bitmap and control+B).

I don't wanna save each individual sprite cause that's gonna be a pain, I'd rather copy and paste but I don't want what I explained, that when I placed the 2nd, 3rd etc sprite ontop of the others and press onion skin they cover each other with a random white background. There is something I am missing and doing wrong. Please help!

Spritan
Spritan

Re: Transparent with a White Background?

on 4/24/2014, 5:58 pm
I've never, not once, used copy and paste for any sprite animation. It's a bad idea. Fireworks happens to work because Macromedia used the same image format between programs. When you copy raw image data, it's formatted to work for the program you copied it from. Trying to paste that same data to a different program is a bad idea. If it works, it's purely luck, but it may bring with it strange problems, like what you've just experienced.

"Now when I delete the colored background and made a 2nd layer behind it which is transparent"
Why are you doing this? This is not a necessary step. You only need one layer with transparency.

I would not recommend something as massive as Photoshop for simple sprite work. Try Paint.net.

Spritan
Spritan

on 4/24/2014, 6:13 pm
@Mr Lange wrote:I've never, not once, used copy and paste for any sprite animation. It's a bad idea. Fireworks happens to work because Macromedia used the same image format between programs. When you copy raw image data, it's formatted to work for the program you copied it from. Trying to paste that same data to a different program is a bad idea. If it works, it's purely luck, but it may bring with it strange problems, like what you've just experienced.

"Now when I delete the colored background and made a 2nd layer behind it which is transparent"
Why are you doing this? This is not a necessary step. You only need one layer with transparency.

I would not recommend something as massive as Photoshop for simple sprite work. Try Paint.net.

Yep. Only way to get a transparent image from Photoshop to flash would be to save it as an image and then import it into Flash which is more trouble then its worth. I use Fireworks or if the sheet isn't too big, I just import it directly into Flash.
Spritan
Spritan

on 4/24/2014, 9:36 pm
@Mr Lange wrote:I've never, not once, used copy and paste for any sprite animation. It's a bad idea. Fireworks happens to work because Macromedia used the same image format between programs. When you copy raw image data, it's formatted to work for the program you copied it from. Trying to paste that same data to a different program is a bad idea. If it works, it's purely luck, but it may bring with it strange problems, like what you've just experienced.

What I was trying to say was since the background is colored and part of the sheet which is (layer 1) I needed to make another layer which is transparent cause if I dont then the colored background will appear white.

But I think I may have solved the problem, but its kinda of a pain since I may have to repeat it. turns out the magical white background can be deleted if I select it. I facepalmed myself after noticing that I can do this, but I'm going to stick with your suggestion and try Paint.net if that will give me better results. Thank you!
What happened:
How the picture looked. notice how i have onion skin on and that white background is there?

Then I pressed Control+B (or trace bitmap)

Then I clicked away and clicked back BUT only at the background.

And then I pressed delete and it appeared like this! which gave me relief but its a such a pain, its like even if I used transparent backgrounds in Photoshop it treats it like a colored page.

I'm gonna try out other programs like paint.net to see if I don't get this same problem.

Edit: I forgot something, I cant have paint.net cause its windows. I have a mac Sad

Spritan
Spritan

on 4/29/2014, 8:40 pm
I've advised against trace bitmap in my guides. You don't need it at all if you're saving images with transparency properly. Stop trying to find unnecessarily complicated workarounds to something that is so easy to accomplish. By the way, the method you just described doesn't remove enclosed spaces.

Spritan
Spritan

on 4/29/2014, 10:22 pm
Why don't people use gimp to import sprites lol
Spritan
Spritan

on 4/30/2014, 6:34 pm
@AlexTGS wrote:Why don't people use gimp to import sprites lol
Because GIMP is bloated, takes a while to open, and the simple task of removing a transparent background and saving it as a PNG takes about 5x longer with more steps than just using something quick and simple like Paint.net.

Spritan
Spritan

on 5/1/2014, 12:15 am
Saving it? I didn't know people saved it lol. I usually just save a Fla with the basic running or shit like that preanimated and have the whole sheet imported on there. Then  I use gimp to draw backgrounds or props and such. Honestly I hated doing that old thing of importing individual sprites, just decided to import the whole thing.
View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum