View previous topicGo downView next topic
Spritan
Spritan

Question about 3DS Max

on 4/10/2014, 11:43 pm

I'm interested in going into using 3DS max in the future to attempt 3D animation like this, but I'm just curious as to where or how people make the figures for characters like Link and Cloud here. Thanks!
Spritan
Spritan

Re: Question about 3DS Max

on 4/11/2014, 1:13 am
3DS max is a way more complex program than the one used in this video, it uses rigs and models, i bet you can find them on the internet, although that's not the problem really, 3DS max is not such an easy program to learn.

"Interesting sig text"

View user profilehttp://www.youtube.com/user/sonicXrules123

on 4/11/2014, 2:24 am
Tal, any 3D program does that. Blender, 3DS Max and Maya. You can model in all three, so no matter which he uses, he's going to have them. Also, any program can be simple to learn if you have the right tutorial and the patience to work with it.

as for your question 2K, Lange most likely got those models from Models Resource and added rigs to them in order for them to move. Modelling is a very time taxing thing. If you plan on learning to model, prepare yourself because it's not something you pick up in one afternoon.

If you want to just get models and add rigs to them, going to http://www.models-resource.com/ (which seems to be down at the moment, go figure.) and downloading any models they have will allow you to get game made models to work with. But then it's up to you to add the rigs to them.

Maya, 3DS Max and Blender are not complex programs to learn as long as you take it slowly and try not to do everything at once.

ADOPT A CHAO!!
(figuratively speaking of course)
Spritan
Spritan

on 4/11/2014, 3:31 am
@SXR123 wrote:Tal, any 3D program does that. Blender, 3DS Max and Maya. You can model in all three, so no matter which he uses, he's going to have them. Also, any program can be simple to learn if you have the right tutorial and the patience to work with it.

as for your question 2K, Lange most likely got those models from Models Resource and added rigs to them in order for them to move. Modelling is a very time taxing thing. If you plan on learning to model, prepare yourself because it's not something you pick up in one afternoon.

If you want to just get models and add rigs to them, going to http://www.models-resource.com/ (which seems to be down at the moment, go figure.) and downloading any models they have will allow you to get game made models to work with. But then it's up to you to add the rigs to them.

Maya, 3DS Max and Blender are not complex programs to learn as long as you take it slowly and try not to do everything at once.

3DS max ain't so simple, it's on a whole different level than blender, possible yes, but it's deffently not simple even with right tutorials.

"Interesting sig text"

Spritan
Spritan

on 4/11/2014, 3:54 am
WholenewWorld2000 wrote:I'm interested in going into using 3DS max in the future to attempt 3D animation like this, but I'm just curious as to where or how people make the figures for characters like Link and Cloud here. Thanks!
This was made with Blender, which I have a lot more experience with than 3ds Max. The character models were ripped from games by others, then I cleaned up the materials, textures, and geometry, then rigged them for animation.

@Tal wrote:3DS max is a way more complex program than the one used in this video, it uses rigs and models, i bet you can find them on the internet, although that's not the problem really, 3DS max is not such an easy program to learn.
I don't know where you're getting your information, but in terms of complexity there isn't much difference between Blender and 3ds Max. While Max may have more features to work with, both programs operate similarly and have the same kind of depth when it comes to creating CGI and animation. Both programs take a lot of time and effort to learn.

@Tal wrote:3DS max ain't so simple, it's on a whole different level than blender
Seriously lol where the hell are you getting this.

@SXR123 wrote:Tal, any 3D program does that. Blender, 3DS Max and Maya. You can model in all three, so no matter which he uses, he's going to have them. Also, any program can be simple to learn if you have the right tutorial and the patience to work with it.

Actually they are very complex programs and learning to use them well takes a lot of dedication. The most basic features individually may not be so complex but to create something worthwhile takes a lot of understanding of the fundamentals, simple and otherwise, and how to utilize them together for a result. This ultimately becomes something much more complex.
As for the character models, Link is from Models Resource, but I had to find Cloud somewhere else and I cannot remember where that model came from. It's Cloud's Dissidia model, and the problem with the one on Models Resource is that it's pre-posed, which makes it impractical to use (a lot of the models there have this problem and I swear none of the staff pays attention). The one I got is properly T-posed.

Spritan
Spritan

on 4/11/2014, 11:10 am
@Mr Lange wrote:
WholenewWorld2000 wrote:I'm interested in going into using 3DS max in the future to attempt 3D animation like this, but I'm just curious as to where or how people make the figures for characters like Link and Cloud here. Thanks!
This was made with Blender, which I have a lot more experience with than 3ds Max. The character models were ripped from games by others, then I cleaned up the materials, textures, and geometry, then rigged them for animation.

@Tal wrote:3DS max is a way more complex program than the one used in this video, it uses rigs and models, i bet you can find them on the internet, although that's not the problem really, 3DS max is not such an easy program to learn.
I don't know where you're getting your information, but in terms of complexity there isn't much difference between Blender and 3ds Max. While Max may have more features to work with, both programs operate similarly and have the same kind of depth when it comes to creating CGI and animation. Both programs take a lot of time and effort to learn.

@Tal wrote:3DS max ain't so simple, it's on a whole different level than blender
Seriously lol where the hell are you getting this.

Actually they are very complex programs and learning to use them well takes a lot of dedication. The most basic features individually may not be so complex but to create something worthwhile takes a lot of understanding of the fundamentals, simple and otherwise, and how to utilize them together for a result. This ultimately becomes something much more complex.
As for the character models, Link is from Models Resource, but I had to find Cloud somewhere else and I cannot remember where that model came from. It's Cloud's Dissidia model, and the problem with the one on Models Resource is that it's pre-posed, which makes it impractical to use (a lot of the models there have this problem and I swear none of the staff pays attention). The one I got is properly T-posed.

Thank you for the response! Also, when talking about rigging the models, does that mean your separating individual body parts like you would kind of do with sprites if you wanted to animate the full body? Or is it much more complex than that? Also, I appreciate the addressing of the level of difficulty these programs have but I will still try to learn the softwares work with in the future. It may be more time taxing but i feel like its worth it.
Spritan
Spritan

on 4/11/2014, 1:39 pm
WholenewWorld2000 wrote:Thank you for the response! Also, when talking about rigging the models, does that mean your separating individual body parts like you would kind of do with sprites if you wanted to animate the full body? Or is it much more complex than that? Also, I appreciate the addressing of the level of difficulty these programs have but I will still try to learn the softwares work with in the future. It may be more time taxing but i feel like its worth it.
Usually the best method is for the model to be one continuous mesh when rigging. Separate piece rigging is inorganic and generally looks bad or cheap. Plenty of early 3d games did that, like Mario's model in Super Mario 64. So with Link and Cloud, most of their meshes were continuous. With some things it is better to separate them, like Link's hat, in which I wanted to rig a way for it to move dynamically.

Spritan
Spritan

on 4/11/2014, 3:02 pm
@Mr Lange wrote:
WholenewWorld2000 wrote:Thank you for the response! Also, when talking about rigging the models, does that mean your separating individual body parts like you would kind of do with sprites if you wanted to animate the full body? Or is it much more complex than that? Also, I appreciate the addressing of the level of difficulty these programs have but I will still try to learn the softwares work with in the future. It may be more time taxing but i feel like its worth it.
Usually the best method is for the model to be one continuous mesh when rigging. Separate piece rigging is inorganic and generally looks bad or cheap. Plenty of early 3d games did that, like Mario's model in Super Mario 64. So with Link and Cloud, most of their meshes were continuous. With some things it is better to separate them, like Link's hat, in which I wanted to rig a way for it to move dynamically.

So is this an example of a model being one continuous mesh when rigged?
View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum