View previous topicGo downView next topic
Spritan
Spritan

WIP scenes

on 3/28/2014, 11:18 pm
These are scenes 3 and 4 (though 4 is incomplete) for this series I've been working on for a little while. This is my first time working with Maple sprites so there's a lot of trial and error going on but I think it's pretty good so far.

Scene #3:
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/9289f8e939062755f965acca2054b93d
(press space to go to the next text box)

Scene #4:
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/79c0a5d67efb88cb00d57c1f8c41da88

Spritan
Spritan

Re: WIP scenes

on 3/30/2014, 4:55 pm
I will say this I had to watch the 1st one 2 times cause the 1st time I got caught up in the music LOL

Anyway, yea these just look like your Average maple Animations to me nothing really Stands out. And Thats the problem. If I had to rate it 1 to 5 Id give it A low 2.not because it was bad but because you didn't put..."You" into it it was just Standard stuff. Maples moving Around doing Maple stuff. Where's the Blue22 in the Blue22 Animation. think of it like this, if I put this Animation into A block of Maple Animations, And some one Asked me to pick out yours And explain how I knew it was yours? I couldn't.

Spritan
Spritan

on 3/30/2014, 5:18 pm
@Face wrote:I will say this I had to watch the 1st one 2 times cause the 1st time I got caught up in the music LOL

Anyway, yea these just look like your Average maple Animations to me nothing really Stands out. And Thats the problem. If I had to rate it 1 to 5 Id give it A low 2.not because it was bad but because you didn't put..."You" into it it was just Standard stuff. Maples moving Around doing Maple stuff. Where's the Blue22 in the Blue22 Animation. think of it like this, if I put this Animation into A block of Maple Animations, And some one Asked me to pick out yours And explain how I knew it was yours? I couldn't.

That's a problem I've been having a for a while now actually. That and actually having the time/inspiration to actually finish something (or at least get far enough for it to be critiqued) not sure if anyone's noticed but that's the reason I've been on this forum for so long without ever uploading anything.

Part of the problem is the limited amount of sprite poses you have to work with in Maple Story but I'm just now getting the hang of making custom poses (not as time consuming as I thought but still a pain in the ass at times) The main thing, like you said, is getting my animations to stand out.

Anyway, your input is much appreciated. I still got a lot of brainstorming to do but I've had more fun doing these maple animations than anything else so I'm gonna keep at it.

Last edited by Blue22 on 3/30/2014, 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Spritan
Spritan

on 3/30/2014, 5:51 pm
@Blue22 wrote:

That's a problem I've been having a for a while now actually. That and actually having the time/inspiration to actually finish something (or at least get far enough for it to be critiqued) not sure if anyone's noticed but that's the reason I've been on this forum for so long without ever uploading anything.

Part of the problem is the limited amount of sprite poses you have to work with in Maple Story but I'm just not getting the hang of making custom poses (not as time consuming as I thought but still a pain in the ass at times) The main thing, like you said, is getting my animations to stand out.

Anyway, your input is much appreciated. I still got a lot of brainstorming to do but I've had more fun doing these maple animations than anything else so I'm gonna keep at it.

Ima try to break it down And response to things as it come.

Time, I can't help you with,Life is A ever time consuming beast.

Inspiration, I like to litsen to the music I'm gonna use for my Animations It helps me.I watch A lot of Anime that works too, And Here our Animation of the Week board is full of some of the best of the best the Spritas have had Around here.Although I think we Are in a transitional period so stuff is moved Around just look up the name of the Animation And just use our search bar to find it.

As far As projects unfinished, LOL man I got had A flash drive with About 80 GIGs of unfinished stuff. I chalk it up to lessons learned. I'm constantly challenging my self when I animate, to do this one better the the last one. you cant see them As set backs. Each Animation is A stepping stone,A lesson to learn.

Ive learned Sprite editing is A important part of Animating. you have come to the point where you can't have one with out the other. but like Animating you get better the more you do it.

Making A Animation your own is one of the best things About Animating,once you forge your own Style EVERYTHING will just fall into place. but that takes practice.

Hey man I Appreciated you giving me the opportunity to help. Any time bro.

Spritan
Spritan

on 3/30/2014, 6:19 pm
I was trying to figure out the song, realized it was from one of my favorite games Pokemon XD.
The music was very unfitting to the fight. It's too laid back and calm for a situation like that.
It appears to be on like 60 FPS am I right?
In regards to your MS poses problem, you should take some time to learn how to edit those things.
Both Maplemation and Still Framed have Custom pose bases you can use. Further more they break apart the sprites and animate the limbs separately which can also be some use to you.

The animations are bad at all. Just you need to invest more time on those custom poses to overcome those problems you face currently.

Spritan
Spritan

on 3/30/2014, 7:03 pm
@Mistah_Jayden wrote:I was trying to figure out the song, realized it was from one of my favorite games Pokemon XD.
Pokemon Colosseum to be exact.

The music was very unfitting to the fight. It's too laid back and calm for a situation like that.
It was supposed to have like a sneaky yet comical feel to it (hence the funny sound effects at the beginning) not really a serious fight scene since it was just a simulation for then. The laid back way they train is supposed to contrast the more intense training methods done by the characters in the next scene. It'll make more sense if I actually finish the episode.

It appears to be on like 60 FPS am I right?
50 actually. Thinking of lowering it for future projects. Sometimes it works but other times it's a bit of a pain.

In regards to your MS poses problem, you should take some time to learn how to edit those things.
Yeah it's not as hard of a process as I had originally thought but it's still the least fun part of spriting.

Both Maplemation and Still Framed have Custom pose bases you can use.
Still-framed has been so much help in this regard. Never heard of Maplemation though. I'll have to check that one out.

Further more they break apart the sprites and animate the limbs separately which can also be some use to you.
I've actually been trying to find a way to go about doing this without using that method, only because I have a bit of an OCD when it comes to the number of layers I like to work with and unless I'm missing something, doing that would mean I need a layer for each individual limb for every character. But I'm probably just gonna have to get over that.

Spritan
Spritan

on 3/30/2014, 7:09 pm
@Blue22 wrote:Never heard of Maplemation though. I'll have to check that one out.

LOL! Maplemation was like the original before Still-Framed showed up...Just about everyone on still framed can have their roots traced back to Maplemation... Why everyone suddenly converted to SF is still beyond me.
Spritan
Spritan

on 3/30/2014, 7:26 pm
Probably because there mascot is a sassy female Wink
Spritan
Spritan

on 3/30/2014, 7:28 pm
@AlexTGS wrote:Probably because there mascot is a sassy female Wink

LOL that mascot is shitty to me...all those flaws tearing at my corneas.
Spritan
Spritan

on 3/30/2014, 7:44 pm
at OP

To be honest i don't think i have actually seen a maple animation that doesn't have the same style as the others with a few tweaks.

@villains
And its still fap worthy ; )
Spritan
Spritan

on 3/30/2014, 9:06 pm
@AlexTGS wrote:Probably because there mascot is a sassy female Wink
LOL!!!!!!!

Spritan
Spritan

on 3/30/2014, 9:30 pm
@AlexTGS wrote:at OP

To be honest i don't think i have actually seen a maple animation that doesn't have the same style as the others with a few tweaks.

@villains
And its still fap worthy ; )

Quite...  I Ultra Came 
Spritan
Spritan

on 4/8/2014, 1:06 am
Needs work. Don't make them so stiff
View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum