View previous topicGo downView next topic
Spritan
Spritan

Re: Leo's crazy sketchbook

on 3/20/2013, 10:45 pm
Leo! Can you teach me a thing or two??

@darkdragon581 wrote:ping, i don't see you getting 'boodie' anytime soon, i don't care if your black, its most likely not going to happen

on 3/20/2013, 11:11 pm
i don't know

i can't give private lessons, 2busy
however if you have any questions feel free to ask
Spritan
Spritan

on 3/20/2013, 11:54 pm
Sad
You're always too busy..
Sad

Well, I don't think it concerns common sense much, but... when drawing proportions of the human body, how can you determine where the parts branch off? Like, from shoulder, to to arm, forearm, hands, or neck to chest. Is there a perfect way of doing it? Do I need an understanding of size and space?

@darkdragon581 wrote:ping, i don't see you getting 'boodie' anytime soon, i don't care if your black, its most likely not going to happen

on 3/21/2013, 1:03 am
If you're talking about proportions, no, there's no perfect proportion system. Everyone has different proportions and the systems they show in the books are idealized, meaning they are designed by artists to fit their conceptions of beauty or something else.

There are some tricks, yes, but they are not rules.

And yeah, you need to understand perspective if you're drawing the limbs in foreshortened positions.
Spritan
Spritan

on 3/21/2013, 11:14 am
Yeah, I always have trouble drawing people at an angle when it comes to arms or shoulders. It ends up lookinh very awkward most of the time.

I've been amking an effort to improve my drawings and work on anatomy, faces, proportions, etc and I've made a fair amount of progress, in my opinion. Unfortunately, hands are completely beyond me unless I copy directly from something else, which is something I prefer not to do.

Spritan
Spritan

on 3/21/2013, 11:22 am
@Leo wrote:so i'm done i think
Spoiler:
no color because this sucks enough as it is

and i forgot his tail thingy. why me
How do you make such a smooth lines in Sai?
I found it more difficult to do than on paper.
Plz tell me -_-

Spritan
Spritan
View user profilehttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJMXtpQUTAA2kNWj_dwWnAhttps://twitter.com/abxelic

on 3/21/2013, 11:37 am
Blitz n' Burst wrote:Yeah, I always have trouble drawing people at an angle when it comes to arms or shoulders.

well what you could do is stand in front of the mirror at an angle close to what the character is in, and sort of use yourself as a referense, it might not be the best way but it could help.

My upcoming projects

Captain Falcon vs Bang Shishigami: 4%      Vergil vs Sephiroth: 60%      

Killer Instinct Origins: TJ Combo:10%        Dragonclaw vs Evil Ryu Remake: 10%

Lloyd vs Kratos:13%                Kratos vs Cloud:10%        Ryu Hyabusa custom sprites:1%
Spritan
Spritan

on 3/21/2013, 1:42 pm
Saulgp wrote:
Spoiler:

Plz tell me -_-
Well I'm not Leo, but generally its trial and error. What I do is I'll try and draw the line as I want it over and over while undoing each time until its to my liking.
Make sure you're drawing in single strokes if you want it to look really smooth, because unless you're a pro at covering up the little choppy lines, you won't get the same effect.
Also draw with your whole arm instead of your wrist, it takes practice, but once you're able to do it your lines will have more weight to them and look all pretty.
Spritan
Spritan

on 3/21/2013, 1:50 pm
@Leo wrote:If you're talking about proportions, no, there's no perfect proportion system. Everyone has different proportions and the systems they show in the books are idealized, meaning they are designed by artists to fit their conceptions of beauty or something else.

There are some tricks, yes, but they are not rules.

And yeah, you need to understand perspective if you're drawing the limbs in foreshortened positions.
Ah, I see. So, it's all about your style. Of course, you'll need an understanding of how an arm would work, but it's all about the way you do it, while maintaining what it is. Thanks bro. Btw, how long did it take that last drawing you just posted?
Blitz n' Burst wrote:Yeah, I always have trouble drawing people at an angle when it comes to arms or shoulders. It ends up lookinh very awkward most of the time.

I've been amking an effort to improve my drawings and work on anatomy, faces, proportions, etc and I've made a fair amount of progress, in my opinion. Unfortunately, hands are completely beyond me unless I copy directly from something else, which is something I prefer not to do.
Yep. Same. That's why I've spent time contemplating on human anatomy. I don't want to look at someone else's work to understand it, when I know my brain can.
@Knux wrote:
Saulgp wrote:
Spoiler:

Plz tell me -_-
Well I'm not Leo, but generally its trial and error. What I do is I'll try and draw the line as I want it over and over while undoing each time until its to my liking.
Make sure you're drawing in single strokes if you want it to look really smooth, because unless you're a pro at covering up the little choppy lines, you won't get the same effect.
Also draw with your whole arm instead of your wrist, it takes practice, but once you're able to do it your lines will have more weight to them and look all pretty.
Whole arm? I never thought of that. Would you make strokes with your wrist when you're coloring?

Spritan
Spritan

on 3/21/2013, 2:07 pm
@Knux wrote:
Ok and thnx I realized that but compare to you guys, even though I repeat them over and over they look kinda messy. Guess it's prectice T.T

Spritan
Spritan

on 3/21/2013, 2:13 pm
It's definitely practice bro. You and I will catch up to Leo and Knux in no time though ;].

Spritan
Spritan

on 3/21/2013, 2:48 pm
That's pretty difficult Ping.

Spritan
Spritan

on 3/21/2013, 3:26 pm
Not if you set your mind to it. I'm practically working in Flash and Photoshop now. By that, I mean I have a different attitude of it. I've disciplined myself.

on 3/21/2013, 4:00 pm
oh look, more posts

Blitz n' Burst wrote:Unfortunately, hands are completely beyond me unless I copy directly from something else, which is something I prefer not to do.

I copy all the time. From life, photos, even from other artists. It's one of the fastest ways to learn, really. Of course, it's not just mindlessly copying outlines, I actually analyze what I'm looking at and recreate it, drawing super slow and analytically, building it up again.
Some people disagree and say you should only draw from life and blah blah blah, but I think that copying from other artists is pretty useful too, that is, unless you don't wanna draw like other artists for a while.

Saulgp wrote:How do you make such a smooth lines in Sai?
Plz tell me -_-

It is more difficult, yeah, and that's mostly because the tablet is a incredibly smooth surface compared to paper.
SAI however is a super cool program that has the stabilizer/smoothing tool. It lets you slow down the brush so it produces smoother strokes.
Inking is frustratingly hard and unfortunately there are no secrets (believe me, I searched for them and couldn't find any). It all boils down to doing it, over and over again.

@Ping wrote:Btw, how long did it take that last drawing you just posted?
It took me a while. I think it took like, 3 hours or something. I'm pretty slow.

@Ping wrote:
@Knux wrote:Well I'm not Leo, but generally its trial and error. What I do is I'll try and draw the line as I want it over and over while undoing each time until its to my liking.
Whole arm? I never thought of that. Would you make strokes with your wrist when you're coloring?

Yeah, you're supposed to be using your whole arm to draw. It's harder to do it on a smaller tablet, but you have to avoid using your wrist. Eventually you may get a lot of wrist pains if you use it constantly. At first it's super frustrating since your arm doesn't move at where you want it to be, but with constant practice, you're gonna get better at it.
I only use my wrist for the really small stuff, or things that need to be done really precisely.
Spritan
Spritan

on 3/21/2013, 4:13 pm
@Leo wrote:SAI however is a super cool program that has the stabilizer/smoothing tool. It lets you slow down the brush so it produces smoother strokes.
Show me a pic of where is that tool ._.
@Leo wrote:
Inking is frustratingly hard and unfortunately there are no secrets (believe me, I searched for them and couldn't find any). It all boils down to doing it, over and over again.
FFuck!

Spritan
Spritan

on 3/21/2013, 4:16 pm
I suppose using your whole arm would be a lot more practical for drawing larger objects as long as you keep a steady hand. I always use my wrist which means I end up having to try being really precise, and my lack of artistic talent combined with my extreme desire for perfection means I end up spending half an hour on a simple drawing.

Spritan
Spritan

on 3/21/2013, 4:19 pm
Blitz n' Burst wrote:My lack of artistic talent combined with my extreme desire for perfection means I end up spending half an hour on a simple drawing.

My life in one sentence.

on 3/21/2013, 4:44 pm
@Saul:

there it is

As for how much of a difference it makes, here

these were done with the stabilizer turned off

and these with it turned on, set at 12

@Blitz: It sounds like you focus on details a lot, try forgetting them and focusing on the bigger stuff, unless you're already doing that.

And hey, no need to feel bad for spending time on a drawing. It's not a race.
Spritan
Spritan

on 3/21/2013, 11:27 pm
Ah, I thank you for the constructive advice, Leo.

Blitz n' Burst wrote:I always use my wrist which means I end up having to try being really precise, and my lack of artistic talent combined with my extreme desire for perfection means I end up spending half an hour on a simple drawing.
This. My life-- wait:
NDS wrote:
Blitz n' Burst wrote:My lack of artistic talent combined with my extreme desire for perfection means I end up spending half an hour on a simple drawing.

My life in one sentence.
Exactly.

All I can say is that drawing is much better when you grasp what is what, and where a part is suppose to go. The only thing I'm pissed off about is that I've yet to receive my tablet. I'm very limited to drawing anything human on the computer- really, shapes to begin with. With a tablet, it'll elimate that limitation, so I won't have to be dependent on the strokes that I'll waste trying to get right within an hour of drawing. I will execute whatever I conceive in my mind onto the canvas freely. I ordered a medium size Wacom Intuos5. I. Can't. Wait.

Spritan
Spritan

on 3/22/2013, 9:48 am
@Leo wrote:@Saul:
Spoiler:

there it is

As for how much of a difference it makes, here

these were done with the stabilizer turned off

and these with it turned on, set at 12
Thank you Leo :]
You're pretty good without the stabilizer btw

Spritan
Spritan

on 3/22/2013, 11:03 am
He just has a good arm, is all.

Spritan
Spritan

on 3/22/2013, 11:36 am
heheh... good arm... well yeah I understand you guys. i'm currently in need of a tablet as well.
I suck at drawing with a mouse. hell i try to draw stick figures and they come out wobbly. all that cause i refuse to use the line tool. which is probably for the best.

I'm not saying I hate you, but if you were set ablaze and I had a bucket of water, I'd probably drink it.
Spritan
Spritan

on 3/22/2013, 11:46 am
Save up for a tablet. It'll be worth it, my friend.

on 3/22/2013, 3:47 pm
you don't need a super expensive one, plus, tablets don't make you better magically. of course, using a mouse to draw is pretty silly and ridiculously hard. you're pretty much fighting against the computer to get what you want.
Spritan
Spritan

on 3/22/2013, 3:50 pm
i use a bamboo tablet...a really small one, chipest in the store, yet it works amazing after i got used to it, fluid lines almost all the time..and yeah it's so hard doing it with a mouse.

"Interesting sig text"

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum