View previous topicGo downView next topic
Spritan
Spritan

Sonic Discussion - Sonic Boom

on 2/4/2013, 3:04 pm

For more than two decades, Sonic the Hedgehog has been one of the world’s biggest gaming icons, with over 70 video game titles, four animated series, and an extensive global merchandising line to his name.  This year, SEGA is excited to introduce a new branch of the Sonic universe, entitled Sonic Boom, that will debut a new look for Sonic and friends and launch their first-ever CG animated television series, new video games for Wii U  and Nintendo 3DS, and a new toy line.  The creative driving forces behind these projects are working together with SEGA to kick-start a global campaign for Sonic Boom that will excite and engage new and existing fans across a variety of platforms.

Sonic Boom’s visual identity includes character designs inspired by the abilities and unique personalities of each of the characters, while still maintaining the core identity and values of the Sonic brand.  The rich worlds of the TV series and videogame will share a common narrative and a number of location and stylistic similarities reflecting full collaboration between videogame, TV series partners and SEGA from the outset.

The Sonic Boom television series, co-produced by SEGA of America Inc. and OuiDO! Productions, will debut on Cartoon Network in the U.S. and on CANAL J and GULLI in France during the 2014/2015 season.  The series is an ensemble comedy consisting of 52 x 11-minute standalone episodes packed full of high-adrenaline action.  Every episode starts from a small character-driven story and explodes into an epic tale of saving the world, robot battles and more.

Serving as a prequel to the stories revealed in the TV series, the Sonic Boom video game will deliver a totally different experience to previous Sonic games with collaborative gameplay at its core.  Developed in the U.S by California-based Big Red Button Entertainment (Wii U) and Sanzaru Games (Nintendo 3DS) in collaboration with Sonic Team, this is the third title to be released as part of an exclusive deal with Nintendo.  Sonic Boom will take advantage of the innovative hardware of both the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS, with traditional elements of Sonic games, such as speed, also featured.  The videogame will also introduce exploration, combat and a new Enerbeam tether mechanic that will allow the Sonic Boom world to be discovered in totally unique ways.

Sonic Boom will be supported by a robust global licensing and merchandising program, anchored by new master toy partner TOMY. TOMY’s line will showcase the new character looks, stressing interaction between core characters, and will feature new play patterns based on both the new game and TV series.  TOMY will develop a comprehensive toy range across a broad number of categories including plush, action figures, RC, role play, vehicles and novelty. Sonic fans can expect a high-quality, collectible toy line fueled by TOMY innovation and energized with speed, lights, sounds, motion-activation and action-performance.  SEGA will launch a broad licensing program across multiple categories including toys, apparel, publishing, accessories, food and beverage, health and more – making this one of the biggest license initiatives SEGA has undertaken in recent years.  The company will enlist many of its current partners who have had tremendous success with Sonic over the past years while seeking new licensees to join this exciting new Sonic licensing program.

“We want to ensure that the Sonic brand continues to evolve and appeal to new generations of Sonic fans and this different look introduces a fresh approach that will be at once both familiar and new to consumers,” said John Cheng, President & COO, SEGA of America. “We are committed to supporting this initiative to provide great entertainment to fans for all aspects of their lives.”

Sonic the Hedgehog first appeared as a videogame character in June 1991 and instantly became an icon for a generation of gamers. Defined by his super-fast speed and cool attitude, in the years since he first raced on to videogame consoles Sonic has become a true global phenomenon with over 140 million videogames sold or downloaded worldwide across consoles, PC’s, mobile phones and tablets. SEGA’s iconic blue blur has also gone on to enjoy incredible success in many licensed areas, such as toys, apparel, comics and animation.

The Sonic Boom TV series is a co-production between SEGA of America, Inc. and OuiDO! Productions. Executive producers on the show are Evan Baily, Donna Friedman Meir and Jane McGregor on behalf of SEGA, and Sandrine Nguyen and Boris Hertzog from OuiDO!. Other partners involved in the TV series include Lagardère Entertainment Rights for distribution and Lagardère Active TV Licensing & New Business for licensing and merchandise in France.

Copied from SEGA's post

Last edited by BlitznBurst on 2/6/2014, 2:33 pm; edited 4 times in total

Spritan
Spritan

Re: Sonic Discussion - Sonic Boom

on 2/4/2013, 3:21 pm
Gameplay will be like SA but I don't think so they'll make the 3rd part of it.
Anyways, saw this news(of a new sonic game coming soon) on a videogame webpage and this game will be for all the actual consoles, PC and the future PS4 & 720.

View user profilehttp://www.youtube.com/user/sonicXrules123

on 2/4/2013, 3:30 pm
yeah I'll only believe it when I see an official post from Sonic Team.

also saul, there's no way in hell they're going back to the adventure style gameplay. They've found something that sort of works and to back to it means they'd have to change everything around.

They're to lazy to do that, that or they just don't want to take any unnecessary risks.

ADOPT A CHAO!!
(figuratively speaking of course)
Spritan
Spritan

on 2/4/2013, 3:36 pm
Yeah, I've said that loads of times. They're hardly going to abandon the boost gameplay when it's honestly the first thing about the series

As much as this game gives bad vibes for me since to be honest I never liked the whole multiple stories deal in the first place, this at least means multiple characters so hopefully SEGA won't get that wrong. It's about time they started including more characters, now they've pretty much perfected the boost gameplay.

Administrator
Administrator

on 2/4/2013, 3:38 pm
If this is true, then I am both EXTREMELY HAPPY and SCARED. They better not fuck this up or I WILL become an assassin and that is a promise!

EDIT: AND THERE BETTER BE A DAMN CHAO GARDEN OR THE WORLD IS GETTING NUKED AND YES THAT IS ALSO A DAMN PROMISE!!
Spritan
Spritan

on 2/4/2013, 3:44 pm
It boggles my mind that they have not spun this off. Imagine a smartphone Chao game with microtransactions to buy fruit and animals and toys for your Chao. You could own the world, Sega.

Administrator
Administrator

on 2/4/2013, 3:49 pm
Dude, imagine if they were to take the Chao garden and multiplayer system from Sonic Adventure 2 Battle and give that online multiplayer support! The entire WORLD will be at the tip of their fingers, man!!!
Administrator
Administrator
View user profilehttp://www.youtube.com/user/Granadicohttps://www.twitch.tv/granadico/profile

on 2/4/2013, 6:35 pm
Rapidfir3Pho3nix wrote:Dude, imagine if they were to take the Chao garden and multiplayer system from Sonic Adventure 2 Battle and give that online multiplayer support! The entire WORLD will be at the tip of their fingers, man!!!
Even if they made a Chao only game liek that for full price i'd buy it instantly

made by Knux184

We can learn from the past
But those days are gone
We can hope for the future
But there may not be one
-Mike Portnoy "A Change of Seasons"
Administrator
Administrator

on 2/5/2013, 10:58 am
Me too, Gran-Gran, mee too...

Also, I don't think it's impossible that they wouldn't go back to the Adventure style of gameplay. Everyone pretty much loved it or at least really liked it (except for classic only bandwagoning fags). I mean agree it's most likely not but it's still possible
Spritan
Spritan

on 2/8/2013, 12:23 am
I don't exactly see Sega doing a Sonic Adventure 3 twelve years after the second one, but then again, Sonic 4 did happen. ORlly? Anything can happen. If it's true, as long as the chao come back and the game's good, I can feel a tad happier.

on 2/8/2013, 1:37 am
The problem is that Sega doing a sonic adventure 3 now would fuck up the whole series.

First of all, calling it Sonic adventure 3 would mean people will have HIGH expectations for it. So in name alone it's already got a lot riding on it. If the game bombs, Sega and sonic team are fucked.

Secondly, if they're going to make this an ACTUAL ADVENTURE game, than they need to go back to the sonic and shadow play style they had. Those levels were the best of the entire series. It made you feel like you were going fast, without actually going so fast that you can only go one path. They need to reintroduce platforming.

Thirdly, the chao's, if they come back... well, that speaks for itself. Not only that, but they'd make a killing on multiplayer with it.

ADOPT A CHAO!!
Spritan
Spritan

on 2/8/2013, 8:57 am
you're looking it the bad way SXR...
What if the game succeeds? What if they spent a "Bit" more of money to make the game a good sequel?
I think you are a bit too negative with these things, c'mon man, it will be called Sonic Adv. 3. SEGA won't fuck up the entire game (i guess) because they'll be raped by tons of quintillion of fans if they do...

Administrator
Administrator

on 2/8/2013, 9:08 am
I don't think you understand the kind of emotional turmoil brought on by Sonic 06. Seriously, that game was bad; and bad is a LARGE understatement. Sonic 06 was supposed to be revolutionary (considering it was the first new gen Sonic game at it's time) and it completely failed. It was trash and the only good thing about the game were it's CGI scenes and that's it! It was a serious damper for all Sonic fans and ever since then there's this fear that they'll produce another Sonic 06. Now, considering Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 are mostly considered to be the best games out of the ENTIRE series; it's impossible to not be frightened that they'll fuck it up.
Spritan
Spritan

on 2/8/2013, 10:31 am
If they make this game SA3 they need to focus solely on Adventure 1 and ignore anything that came from Adventure 2. Sonic Adventure had bright and surreal environments, creative and varied music, a kind of edgy story that at least still has plenty of whimsy to it and level design with actual variance and platforming, as opposed to SA2's dark and gritty storyline, bland and uninspired levels that try (and fail) to look realistic and all look exactly the same, levels with no alternate routes or platforming whatsoever, and worst of all, the complete butchery of the series's cheerful and upbeat music, probably the most recognisable thing from the franchise, by replacing it with Jun Senoue's love for electric guitar in every song. Sonic Adventure was a great game but I do not want them touching SA2 with a twenty foot pole. Even Sonic 06 had some good ideas to be found in the glitchy and boring mess of gameplay.

I'd also prefer it if they ignore Chao completely considering how incredibly out of place they were, or at the very least not make them necessary for 100% completion. Characters that actually play similarly would be great as well. I want Sonic, Tails and Knuckles as they were in S3&K, not Sonic, Tails and Knuckles as they were in SA2. Hell, I wouldn't even mind the return of the treasure hunting stages if they would go to the effort of not making them unreasonably large, going back to being able to track any emerald instead of in a specific order (Seriously, who in the development team thought that was a good idea?) and who knows, if they're feeling really generous maybe they can give us hints that actually help this time instead of having them speak half-truths, riddles, backwards and even outright lying.

I'd still just prefer Knuckles in a straight platformer though. Maybe it could be more combat-oriented though. Tails needs to be like Sonic except he can't homing attack or boost and has the ability to fly. Hell, with Tails's naturally slower gameplay maybe they could have him have more exploration-based stages while Sonic has his stages pretty much identical to Generations. Or, even better, they could just give you one set of levels and character-specific routes like in the old days instead of forcing you to play as six different characters that play completely differently and don't even fit in the style of the series. Not to mention this would make them have to put more thought into the levels to accomodate all the playing styles.

All we need other than that are bright and surrealistic levels like in the classic games, and since Izuka has already confirmed that this is the direction they're taking with the series there's no real need to worry about that.

Also I'm honestly surprised this hasn't been leaked yet, considering SEGA's track record.

EDIT:

SXR123 wrote:Secondly, if they're going to make this an ACTUAL ADVENTURE game, than they need to go back to the sonic and shadow play style they had. Those levels were the best of the entire series. It made you feel like you were going fast, without actually going so fast that you can only go one path. They need to reintroduce platforming.

>Implying that Sonic Adventure 2 had platforming and alternate routes. And somebody hasn't played Colours~

on 2/8/2013, 11:05 am
adventure 2 DID have platforming.

You know, when you like... jump on platforms and stop moving for a moment or two? Yeah. Adventure two had that. That's what platforming is.

Yes, generations and color had alternative routes, I know that. I've played both games. But what's the point? If all I have to do is hold the boost button and I'm zooming past everything without taking a moment to look around, what's the point of having alternative routes? Most of the games nowaday's all you have to do is hold boost and dodge obstacles every now and then. Speed is no longer a reward, it's just a given.

In adventure two you didn't immediately start out going at super sonic speeds and the game was slow enough to appreciate when you WERE going fast. Trying to grind down the rails as fast as you could, trying to get sonic's legs to move faster and faster, etc.

I'll admit that adventure two's soundtrack had a lot of unneeded guitar in them, if they were to combine what was best in SA2 and SA1 then they'd have a fantastic game.

I want a story where Dr. Eggman can be taken seriously and not just some bumbling fool whose only there because he... well you know, sonic's arch nemesis. I want the eggman we had in SA2. Where he threatened the world with domination, nearly killed sonic and was actually pretty bad ass. We had a glimpse of that in unleashed but he was still some imbecile who just built retarded robots in a sad attempt to beat sonic

No plan, just "I build big robot and smash sonic, how can my plan POSSIBLY fail?!" All eggman has become now is some obstacle who gets in the way of sonic. I'd like a slighty darker storyline then what we've been getting. I'm all for a little comedic relief, but they've got sonic making stupid, lame, unimaginative jokes that are supposed to make four year olds giggle. "baldy mcnosehair" HAH HAH HAH. I'M DYING OF LAUGHTER.

They've essentially taken out sonic's key personality. He's a cocky, act first think later kind of guy who does what needs to be done. Not some "I HAZ FRIENDZ, I R WIN WITH SUPAH POWAH OF TEAMWERK". I think they came really close to his personality in sonic and the black knight.

ADOPT A CHAO!!

on 2/8/2013, 11:27 am
I sorta liked the story in SA2, it felt different and a little more creative.

Administrator
Administrator

on 2/8/2013, 11:44 am
Blitz n' Burst wrote:If they make this game SA3 they need to focus solely on Adventure 1 and ignore anything that came from Adventure 2. Sonic Adventure had bright and surreal environments, creative and varied music, a kind of edgy story that at least still has plenty of whimsy to it and level design with actual variance and platforming, as opposed to SA2's dark and gritty storyline, bland and uninspired levels that try (and fail) to look realistic and all look exactly the same, levels with no alternate routes or platforming whatsoever, and worst of all, the complete butchery of the series's cheerful and upbeat music, probably the most recognisable thing from the franchise, by replacing it with Jun Senoue's love for electric guitar in every song. Sonic Adventure was a great game but I do not want them touching SA2 with a twenty foot pole. Even Sonic 06 had some good ideas to be found in the glitchy and boring mess of gameplay.

ARE YOU SERIOUS?! NO ALTERNATIVE ROUTES?! Bro, did you even play Sonic Adventure 2?? It was full of alternative routes. Also, why the fuck does everyone suddenly care if a game is realistic or not. You're running around with a super fast, blue hedgehog who can stand on two feet. It doesn't need to be realistic; it's fun and extremely enjoyable which are what games are supposed to be. They can try to be realistic but that isn't the point of a game at all unless they make it a point. No where in any of Sonic's games do they try to be realistic so the idea that it has to be is just absurd. And how do the levels look exactly the same?? I mean, if you compare the good/bad character counterpart level design then yes, they have the same appearance because that is the theme for the stage during that point in the story. Other than that, I don't see how you can honestly say that the stages are the same. SXR, already covered the platforming so yeah. And the music is perfectly fine. I don't see how you can say that "Escape from the City" wasn't upbeat or cheerful.

Blitz n' Burst wrote:I'd also prefer it if they ignore Chao completely considering how incredibly out of place they were, or at the very least not make them necessary for 100% completion. Characters that actually play similarly would be great as well. I want Sonic, Tails and Knuckles as they were in S3&K, not Sonic, Tails and Knuckles as they were in SA2. Hell, I wouldn't even mind the return of the treasure hunting stages if they would go to the effort of not making them unreasonably large, going back to being able to track any emerald instead of in a specific order (Seriously, who in the development team thought that was a good idea?) and who knows, if they're feeling really generous maybe they can give us hints that actually help this time instead of having them speak half-truths, riddles, backwards and even outright lying.

They're in the game so clearly they'll need to be used for 100% completion. If you look at any 3D metroid game you have to scan EVERYTHING to get 100% completion. Why? Because they took the time to put it in there, that's why. And the Chao World and everything about the Chao is probably one of the best things about the whole Adventure series.

And eh, I can pretty much agree with the rest...

Seriously, though did you even play Sonic Adventure 2??
Spritan
Spritan

on 2/8/2013, 12:55 pm
Oh man, I guess I'm just imagining the fact that the only player input that was ever necessary was during homing attack chains. And no, I do not consider a five-second break from all the springs and running enough to make up for it. When it gets to the point where people can tell what point of the level you are at by listening to the goddamn music I think there's something wrong. The only levels with any decent amount of platforming were Final Rush and Crazy Gadget and those levels were horrible messes and actually the worst levels in the entire game, even including the mech shooters and treasure hunting stages (Seriously, fuck you Mad Space) My problem with SA2's music isn't that it's bad, it's that it's out of place. I like Jun Senoue's music but Jesus Christ he should not be aloud to compose music for a Sonic game. I don't want a Sonic game filled with nothing but generic guitar music. The only level it worked for at all was Green Forest because the tone of the level actually worked in the context of the story. I say good riddance to Senoue's absence from further games in the series because apparently between that time and Generations he actually figured out that Sonic games need more than modern buttrock electric guitar. Hopefully he can actually keep up this standard.

No, SXR, having an automatic go-fast button doesn't somehow automatically mean the game is completely linear and has no platforming and I have no fucking idea how you could possibly make that connection. You hardly ever even USED the boost in Colours because it can only be found with the white wisps and the level design made sure you could only use it in areas it was intended to be used, and precision platforming made it so boosting recklessly is a pretty bad thing to do. Generations also had plenty of platforming. The only level that lets you "boost past everything" is Green Hill Zone, which is the first stage and designed to get you used to the mechanics of the game. You're seriously basing your opinion on these games on nothing more than the fact that the boost is in them at all.

SXR, I've already acknowledged that yes, I do appreciate that they tried to make Eggman an actual threat in SA2. That doesn't change the fact that dark and gritty storylines do not belong in the series. This game introduced everything that was wrong with the series up until Unleashed, where the developers actually had a proper fucking idea of what direction they wanted to take the franchise. Sonic Colours had a great story - it was bright and cheerful and whimsical and lighthearted, everything Sonic should be. Look at the classic games, and the bright, surrealistic levels, the cheerful music. Look at AOSTH, and the Sonic OVA, probably the closest we've ever had to a proper classic Sonic adaption in terms of tone. Hell, even look at Adventure. Now look at SA2. This is not what Sonic should be. I don't care how the game plays, about physics or level design or controls or anything like that. Things like that can be fixed. SA1 certainly wasn't a perfect game by any means. It controlled badly, it had glitches, it had fucking Big the Cat, but it had some actual aesthetic and style and a proper personality. Despite its turn towards a darker storyline it still felt like a classic Sonic game, and was the closest thing we ever got to them up until Colours, because it tried to be an actual Sonic game, and I can say without a doubt that Adventure still remains to be one of my favourite Sonic games despite its flaws. But SA2 threw everything that made the franchise great out the window. Everything that made Sonic as a franchise lovable was completely abandoned with that game. I don't want Sonic games to play like the classic games - the jump to 3D obviously wouldn't have worked with the Classic Sonic gameplay style. But I want it to feel like a Sonic game. I want to feel like I'm playing a Sonic game, not the dark, gritty furry drama bullshit that has plagued the series from SA2 onwards. Everything about that game was bad, from the unappealing and clashing gameplay styles to the generic rock music to the bland and uninspired graphics. Colours is the greatest 3D Sonic game we've ever had and was a step in the right direction in so many ways. It had alternate and diverging paths, it had creative and enjoyable platforming, it had visually appealing levels that looked like they had come straight out of the classics, it had a story that didn't take itself seriously, it had peppy, upbeat music that drew me into the levels so much. I seriously felt so happy when I played this game. Even Unleashed, which was a massive step towards making the franchise great again and made me feel like maybe Sonic team had finally got it right, didn't make me feel like that. But I played Sonic Colours, and I was taking in all the amazing visuals and the music and the Saturday-morning-cartoon-like story, and Colours was the game that finally made me think, "Sonic is back." I can never bring myself to like SA2. Not just because the game was boring, not just because the Treasure Hunting and Mech Shooting made me want to tear my hair out and throw my console out the window, not just because the story was badly written, but because this game did not belong in the franchise. This was the game where SEGA started taking a completely different direction with the series. This was the game that introduced military robots and revenge against humanity and death and so much more that just contrasted so much with what had been established before it. It may not be near as bad as 06 or Shadow, not by a long shot, but this is a game that I can't bring myself to like no matter how much I try to ignore its flaws. Anything that the game may have done right, be it a music track that stands out, or a part of the story that makes me think "oh, that was actually pretty good," or a level gimmick or bit of level design or anything else, is just completely overshadowed by the rest. I hope this game will be good. I really do. Sonic Team has been doing so great lately with the direction they've been taking, and the concept of an SA3 makes me scared that they'll just forget all that and start the Sonic Cycle all over again. I hope to god that this game is good, that I can play it and enjoy it and feel like I'm playing a Sonic game, and so I don't have to write a massive review detailing everything that was wrong with this game, because that is honestly the last thing I want to do.

And Rapid I was saying the games shouldn't be realistic and yet were blatantly attempting to be. I was pretty obviously referring to the game trying to be super edgy and realistic as a flaw, not that future games should be realistic.

**EDIT** OH holy fuck what the shit did I just write. I've said all I need to say so I'd prefer it if we'd just keep to discussion about the game at hand. I'm honestly tired of arguing about all this, because it's pretty clear we have completely different ideas about what Sonic should be, SXR, and at this point anything either of us said would just be the exact same argument we must have posted like fifty times already. If you want to reply, that's fine, but keep in mind I'll probably just ignore anything that isn't related to the SA3 discussion.

on 2/8/2013, 1:27 pm
Either way, you guys aren't going to alter whatever decisions they make lololol

Spritan
Spritan

on 2/8/2013, 1:33 pm
SA2 was made ten years ago and with the direction the series has been taking I can't doubt this will be a good game regardless. The name SA3 just gives bad vibes for me. Not only does it obviously associate with SA2, but with 06 as well (which may as well have been SA3) and god knows we don't want another game like that. Hopefully SEGA is paying as much attention to the fans as they like to claim they are and will pull this off.

Or maybe this is all fake and they're not making SA3 at all because even though this is from a (Apparently) reliable source I can't help but be skeptical of this no matter how much SEGA has been teasing us. Again, I'm really surprised this hasn't been leaked yet. Guess SEGA's finally tightening down on its employees.

on 2/8/2013, 1:48 pm
If there's one thing sonic's not, it's bright, cheery, whimsical and light hearted. Sonic is NONE of those things, he's not SUPPOSED to be those things.

Look at the sonic archie comics, that is THE PERFECT EXAMPLE of what sonic should be.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Just reading these comics makes me love sonic that much more. He's got the potential to be a character who gives the players an exciting story with suspense and action. Not to mention he can still be funny even if he's not making childish, stupid jokes like the one's he's been making lately.

Spoiler:

Let's make something clear about sonic

He's not mario.

Mario is known for his bright, cheery, whimsical and light hearted games, but sonic just isn't that. He wasn't SUPPOSED to be bright and cheery, he wasn't meant for the kind of games mario has. He is known for his cocky and head strong attitude, ready to help at a moments notice. He was supposed to be SEGA'S answer to mario, mario was light and cheerful while sonic's games were filled with attitude and action. and for a while he did that, even in adventure 1 and 2 he was SEGA's answer to mario and he was kicking that plumber's ass for a while.

This is anything but light, cheery and whimsical.

ADOPT A CHAO!!

on 2/8/2013, 1:58 pm
I think Sonic should do a bit less talking and be more about actually playing the game.

on 2/8/2013, 2:00 pm
If there's one thing I love in a game, it's the story. I want to be entertained with a story when I play a game. Something a lot of games nowadays lack and just go straight to multiplayer.

Something I've liked about the adventure series.

ADOPT A CHAO!!
Spritan
Spritan

on 2/8/2013, 2:09 pm
Oh man I guess I was just imagining the blue hedgehog, fat scientist in red and yellow pajamas, two-tailed flying fox, checkerboard hills, bright and colourful environments and extremely pwppy music. Dark =/= epic. SA1 tried to keep that sense of "epicness" while still being cheerful. The Death Egg Robot is a prefect example of this. Just because it's bright and cheerful doesn't mena it can't try to do something awesome. Mario Galaxy had you fight a giant Bowser while amazing orchestral music played in the background. Just because you're bright and colourful doesn't mean you can't try and do something grand. That's a horrible excuse. Keep in mind that the castles of the Mario Bros were filled with fire and lava and a giant fire breathing dragon, and that Sonic also has bright and colourful environments that were actually a lot more bright and colourful than Mario's.

And the Archie comics are an adaption. You may as well try and use SatAM to make your point. In which case I could just as well point to AoStH. The Archie comics don't reflect anything from the games - they're their own continuity that tried to be something more than the games. It may as well be fanfiction that happened to get licensed by SEGA. Just because the Archie comics were serious doesn't mean the games were serious. That's like me pointing t the Mario Bros movie to try and say something about the Mario games.

Please tell me where I said that Sonic wasn't supposed to try to be cool. Please tell me where I once said that. Sonic's status as a mascot with attitude has nothing to do at all with anything I said. Sonic's characterisation =/= the plot of the games. Sonic had just as much attitude as he did originally. But apparently the fact that SEGA actually brought the series closer to the classics by making the series not a fucking bland and uninspired realistic dark and edgy action game for once somehow marks it as "lol kiddy game is nothing like old sonic games fail sega sonic cycle trololololol"

And let us not forget Metropolis Zone, the final zone in the game. This shit is so dark and edgy, just listen to this hardcore music.

This is the final level of Sonic 2. It doesn't need to be uber dark and serious to have a deep plot or make an impression or just be generally badass. I find it amusing that you complain about gamers today not understanding what true games are and wanting everything to be uber hardcore when you're requesting the exact same thing, of a series that isn't meant to be like that in the first place. Sonic was badass back in the day, but he was not dark and serious. That's something you seem to be completely missing here. Unleashed went really in-depth with its characterisation, but it was hardly "THIS IS A MAN'S GAME. WE'RE IN MAN'S TERRITORY, WITH EXPLOSIONS AND DEATH AND REVENGE AND EDGINESS." It tried to be kickass without being dark and obnoxious and shoving the story in your face like SA2 did.

THIS is the type of tone I want from a Sonic game. Make it 3D and throw in a boost and this would be the perfect example to SEGA to show them what they should be doing.

on 2/8/2013, 3:32 pm
Blitz n' Burst wrote:"lol kiddy game is nothing like old sonic games fail sega sonic cycle trololololol

http://youtu.be/MbAr788qi2U?t=5m52s

"Hyper-go-on power"

...I let that quote speak for itself.

ADOPT A CHAO!!
View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum