View previous topicGo downView next topic
Spritan
Spritan

Importing big sprite sheets

on 4/15/2012, 5:51 am
afro Every time I try to import a hug sheet it freezes my flash 8,I just recently heard that I can import on a different program and drag the image,what program do I need? afro

Re: Importing big sprite sheets

on 4/15/2012, 6:08 am
Hmmm you're probably tracing the sprite sheet, don't do that.

I recommend you get a program like Paint.NET, GIMP, Fireworks or anything else that supports transparency (most of the image editing programs, heh).
Now what you do is;
Open up the sheet on the image editing program of your choice, select the sequence of sprites you want (running, walking, standing, jumping, etc.), and copy it.
Then create a new file, paste the sprites, remove the background with the magic wand, crop the image to fit around the sprites if needed (although most programs will already create a new file with the dimensions of your selection), and save it as a png file.

After that, import it into Flash and then break apart (the "break apart" method is explained here) the sequence of sprites.

If you use Fireworks, there's a slight change in the way you do this.
Basically in Fireworks, open up the sheet, but instead of selecting a sequence you want, click on the magic wand and get rid of the bg color (there's sheets that have no bg). Now select the sequence you want and just copy and paste it on Flash directly without having to export and go through that longer process.

There's the benefit of having most sprites you need ready to be imported in Flash without the need to be selected again if you do it with the first way. But that's the only benefit I know.

But hey, don't try doing the second method with any other program other than Fireworks. Only Fireworks...works like that.

I hope this helps.
View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum