View previous topicGo downView next topic
Spritan
Spritan

DAMN BIG 100% SKill update

on 12/13/2011, 10:58 am
Ok... probably many of you already know about my coming serie/movie i'm planning to make. BUT since i'm a little perfectionist i planned to "check" my skills, then estimate them, compare to others. And so i have come to conclusion that my current methods aren't going to give me the result i want. Here i ask you about "everything" at once. Also this topic will become like a packed pile of starting information for novices.

I want this to be tutorial for me (but it probably will help others too) about how good non-lag animation can be obtained.

I use flash 8 pro, fireworks and photoshop. I have AE too but i don't use much.

Next i'll write an example how i make animation and your job is to correct my arguments.
Here we go.

1st step. Collect resources like characters and backgrounds (.PNG) and sound effects (.wav), right?

2nd step. Open the flash and choose hmmm for example white BG and size 500x400. Go public settings and set compression:mp3,bit rate: 160kbps, quality: best FPS for 24-30, add many layers, right?

3rd step. Open you background in fireworks. Take all useless bgcolor off with magic wand tool. Blur (if needed) in fireworks (not in flash) to avoid lagg. Same goes to other filter effects. Avoid using overused sounds and effects.
Then add characters from fireworks to flash, "brake apart"-button, bitmap->trace bitmap-> f8 = make it symbol.

4th step. Anything other depends on your skill and effects you have. DON*T RUSH IF YOU HAVE TIME!!!!! MAKE THE ANIMATION SMOOTH!!!!! And make a lot of custom stuff if possible.

5th step. Convert.

That's about it (shortly). NOW help me to make this "indication" PRO

Last edited by Blackleafe on 12/13/2011, 11:43 am; edited 6 times in total

Re: DAMN BIG 100% SKill update

on 12/13/2011, 11:15 am
You aren't teaching you're just stating the obvious.

"Start animating." Yeah as if no one was going to animate.

And let me understand this. You're basically saying that you'll write up tutorials and then someone else with experience goes and fix it up for you?

Well, why would you do this.
Eric already has a tutorial covering the very basics such as V-CAM and other stuff. Resources can be obtained from everywhere and other stuff like edits and customs also have tutorials covering them.

But as for what you said.
Size doesn't really matter, but as it has been said already, it's better to have the screen wider as you can see stuff better that way. So a size like 640x360 is better.

The best FPS rates are from 25 to 30 but you can go anywhere to 40 up to high amounts like 80. However animating so many frames can be overwhelming.

"Add many layers"? That depends on how many layers you need for your animation.

I also think it's better to say that you should blur in image editing programs, not just Fireworks. Also it's better if you save what you have cut as images (PNG) and then import to Flash. That will prevent from any screwups being done by Flash.

And trace? No. Don't trace. It's does more harm than help. It's better to break apart.

"Remember to use v-cam and AS if needed."
Using the V-CAM is a matter of being more easy and pratical to do camera work in Flash.
But ancient sprite animators have been doing animations without it just fine. It just makes things more faster and easy.
As for AS. Only if you need a special effect that needs to be coded and rendered in real time.

And tweens are the same as motion tweens, what you said is confusing.
Spritan
Spritan

on 12/13/2011, 11:33 am
LOLOLOL Razz Leo.... this isn't tutorial (YET) The idea is that i tell what i usually do when i start animating. This becomes 1 kind of model to others once we have dropped the "weak" parts. And correct. Someone experienced is supposed to fix my mistakes, because that will help my animations.

The idea is that i tell MY METHOD and you tell what are it's weak points. This is help thread after all... and i'm asking help for my methods.

FPS can go to even 80???? is any1 here making with over 30?
You said that: "Don't trace!" ????? Ok that's what i expected to hear. But i still don't get it. Whyyyyy.

Spritan
Spritan

on 12/13/2011, 12:10 pm
I'm currently doing some in 60.

Max FPS is 120.

"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata 1959-2015
Spritan
Spritan
View user profilehttps://www.facebook.com/Dappiahkumi

on 12/13/2011, 12:31 pm
Who the fuck needs to animate in 120 FPS!!! Shocked

Spritan
Spritan

on 12/13/2011, 12:34 pm
I don't know. Good luck capturing that xD

"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata 1959-2015
Spritan
Spritan

on 12/13/2011, 12:36 pm
60????????????? DAAAAMN i knew this!!!! I'm so old fashioned.... screw you 30fps imma take 80 >:[

Spritan
Spritan

on 12/13/2011, 12:38 pm
Why do you need 80? Games nowadays only run at 30 - 60 fps. 80 is overkill lol.

Spritan
Spritan

on 12/13/2011, 12:53 pm
FINE add it tooo the maaxxxxx!!!!!! IT'S OVER 120!!!!!!!!!!!!

on 12/13/2011, 1:03 pm
You guys are killing yourselves.

No need to animate in a FPS rate higher than 30.
60 is the velocity of most games, but eh. In the end you have to animate WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more frames than you normally would so yeah. And it basically has no difference other than making the animations smoother (if you know what are you doing).

As for why trace is bad :
"Its commonly believed the best way is by using "trace bitmap". Not exactly. Trace bitmap converts bitmaps to vectors. This is a nice convenience when you want to do fancy vector transforms, or getting rid of pesky background colors, but using trace bitmap on lots of sprites can really slow down your animation (because vectors draw slower). Also, a perfect vector copy of a bitmap sprite will store just as much information, because now it has to store every square with every color, which equates to a bitmap image. Not such a good trade off now is it?
The best way is the oh so overlooked "break apart" feature. [...]Its actually an oldschool method of sprite animation in Flash." - Splendid Flash Tips, written by Lange.

It also explains the break apart method.
Spritan
Spritan

on 12/13/2011, 1:09 pm
Sooo... i just press the sprite and then Ctrl+B ? and that's it?

Spritan
Spritan

on 12/13/2011, 1:21 pm
Trace Bitmap actually comes out blurry. The best way is break apart.

on 12/13/2011, 1:32 pm
@Blackleafe : Yeah, but once you do that, there's going to be a transparent bg (assuming you have taken out the bg color), so select the Magic Wand set it to the settings that were mentioned in the tutorial (in a post by Eric I think). Then click on the transparent bg.

@Kane : It's actually blurry because Flash makes vector graphics smoother. In a drawing you won't notice, but since you're working with pixels, it makes a difference.
But when you zoom in it almost doesn't show the smoothing. Try setting the quality of a movie with traced sprites to low, then to high. You'll see what I am talking about.
Spritan
Spritan

on 12/13/2011, 1:55 pm
Oh okay, good idea Leo. And yeah but if you want a crisp, lag free look I'd say go with break apart.

on 12/13/2011, 1:59 pm
Hell, forget trace bitmap.
Administrator
Administrator

on 12/13/2011, 8:53 pm
You don't need to trace the bitmap. Break apart, click the Magic Wand Tool, and remove the background from it, it's a transparent background, remove it, and then there will be no background, which makes it easier for aligning or whatever, I don't know.

Don't blur in Fireworks or anything, you can, and I mean if that's all you have, then by all means, do it. However, I suggest Photoshop, it is more powerful, you can also use GIMP and Paint.NET. They're more powerful than Fireworks, and Fireworks is just, basically, for copying and pasting. But when you go more in depth, Fireworks does have a lot more to offer.

[The Return]
Spritan
Spritan

on 12/14/2011, 8:35 am
Hmm... tell me more about this fireworks hidden power!!!

Spritan
Spritan

on 12/14/2011, 8:59 pm
(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)
View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum