View previous topicGo downView next topic
Spritan
Spritan

Mitigating file Size increase?

on 10/16/2011, 9:02 pm
Aside from using Break Apart, which I'm having problems with using as it deletes part of the sprites I'm using, are there other ways to keep my swf from exploding in size? I'd probably sooner just break down and using non-fighting game sprites which seem to fair better.
Spritan
Spritan

Re: Mitigating file Size increase?

on 10/17/2011, 4:08 am
normally i will just suggest NOT putting tons of effects in your movies

"Interesting sig text"

Administrator
Administrator

on 10/17/2011, 4:06 pm
Lange has a tutorial fore this..

[The Return]
Spritan
Spritan

on 10/17/2011, 4:46 pm
uhm, i would suggest editing them in another program first like Gimp or Photoshop to make to smaller but it might not work
~CJ

The Unstoppable Ala Rubra

Spritan
Spritan

on 10/26/2011, 7:33 pm
I'm doing everything Lange's tutorial said but I think I just figured out that you can use Break Apart without it raping the sprites just by change the wand tool settings. I feel slow now. Now only effects seem to cause much file size increase. And if I follow Lange's tutorial for sound effects when I add them everything should be good.
Spritan
Spritan

on 10/26/2011, 7:58 pm
Effect whores.
:V
Audio compression's always the way to go.
Always.

If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods, whom you and your fathers have not known, gods of any other nations, near at hand or far away, from one end of the earth to the other: do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, but kill him. Your hand shall be the first raised to slay him; the rest of the people shall join in with you. You shall stone him to death, because he sought to lead you astray from the Lord, your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that place of slavery. And all Israel, hearing of this, shall fear and never do such evil as this in your midst.
Deuteronomy 13:7-12
Spritan
Spritan

on 10/26/2011, 9:31 pm
@GentlemanofWar wrote:I'm doing everything Lange's tutorial said but I think I just figured out that you can use Break Apart without it raping the sprites just by change the wand tool settings. I feel slow now. Now only effects seem to cause much file size increase. And if I follow Lange's tutorial for sound effects when I add them everything should be good.

Depends if you rape em. Like some dudes have 10 different sparks. XD.
Unneeded.
Spritan
Spritan

on 10/26/2011, 9:49 pm
@Mistah_Jayden wrote:
@GentlemanofWar wrote:I'm doing everything Lange's tutorial said but I think I just figured out that you can use Break Apart without it raping the sprites just by change the wand tool settings. I feel slow now. Now only effects seem to cause much file size increase. And if I follow Lange's tutorial for sound effects when I add them everything should be good.

Depends if you rape em. Like some dudes have 10 different sparks. XD.
Unneeded.

The one I'm working on now isn't the same WIP I showed before. It's not as effect-crazy as the Exhibition video. The Wand Tool would destroy parts of the sprites I copied into flash when I deleted the black area around them. Go me for not realizing I could change the settings.
Administrator
Administrator

on 10/27/2011, 4:42 pm
You shouldn't really use the Magic Wand Tool for effects, effects can stay as it is.

[The Return]
Spritan
Spritan

on 10/27/2011, 7:18 pm
@Patt wrote:You shouldn't really use the Magic Wand Tool for effects, effects can stay as it is.

I use it when animating from an effects sheet. Some effects take more memory if you used the same ones ripped from mugen vs making them yourself. Not sure why though. But since its only like 3 frames for most of them that's I'm using, I figured why not? Of course for other stuff I just used stuff from mugen.
Administrator
Administrator

on 10/27/2011, 7:20 pm
I understand this..

But what I'm saying is that even if you've the sheet, keep the black there and animate it as it is, then use a blend mode to have it be visible.

[The Return]
Spritan
Spritan

on 10/27/2011, 7:21 pm
Oh, okay. Will do.

Edit: Wait, you mean the black area around the effects? Yeah, I do that. I just Break Apart them cause I'll copy the whole thing. I don't magic wand the black box just that...whatever it is that surrounds the frames when you copypaste them. Not sure what its called.
Spritan
Spritan

on 10/28/2011, 11:03 pm
Its best to have a transparent background first, and I use wand tool for two reasons.
It makes it easier to split frames apart.
It allows the sprites to be used for masking effects. If you just separate them as squares, you will get square masks.

For compression, yeah, those effects that consist of image sequences, are always big. If you have a lot of those, I have two suggestions.
Use an image program to cut the actual size of the image in half, then scale them up in Flash. If the effects are a lot of glows and blurry things, you won't lose much at all in image quality, but a much smaller file size.
Also, import those images as pngs, but in Flash, you can set the image compression settings as jpeg, and you won't lose the transparency effects (the image will just look a little crappier). However you can still keep the image quality at a high number like 80, and still have a lot of extra compression. Just be sure to watch the file size numbers as they change, because there are actually instances in which png will compress better than jpg.

And if you read my tutorial, you should know to keep all your sounds on stream, that is, if you have music through most of your movie.

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum