View previous topicGo downView next topic
Spritan
Spritan

How do you choose?

on 9/3/2011, 4:36 pm
How do you choose what you want to animate?

Like actually choose something fun and something that motivates you, like I wanna animate LSW but I can't think of who to animate.

Got any tips of what to do when in this situation?
View user profilehttp://www.youtube.com/user/sonicXrules123

Re: How do you choose?

on 9/3/2011, 5:26 pm
if you're trying to be original, try and find a character that little to nobody uses, if you're practicing, take a well known character and just get a sand bag or a random character to punch and just try and come up with different combo's.
Spritan
Spritan

on 9/3/2011, 6:41 pm
Normally i just watch some well known animations on the matter and try to get inspiration.

don't test me...
Crap being worked on:

Typhlosion sprite sheet edit: 100% finished. (unless someone tells me to add something.) CHECK IT OUT NOW! (finished since 30th August 2011)
Typhlosion vs Surprise character:started. havz about 6 seconds now.
Spritan
Spritan

on 9/3/2011, 7:21 pm
the best way to find out what you personally like to animate is to try everything you can think of.
Spritan
Spritan

on 9/3/2011, 7:43 pm
@SXR123 wrote:if you're trying to be original, try and find a character that little to nobody uses, if you're practicing, take a well known character and just get a sand bag or a random character to punch and just try and come up with different combo's.
Thats how i came up with nappa and burter

Just pick someone, think of what you can do with that char, then do it

Spritan
Spritan

on 9/3/2011, 8:19 pm
Usually people use sprites from games they play or shows they watch. because it makes it easier to use them because you have a general idea of what they do and how they do it. So use something you like and know well, it doesn't matter if its well known or unknown. Animation is for your own enjoyment anyways.
Spritan
Spritan

on 9/3/2011, 8:39 pm
^and for other people to enjoy too. That's why Cartoons exist. either that or those guys just have fun counting the money they get when we watch them shows...

don't test me...
Crap being worked on:

Typhlosion sprite sheet edit: 100% finished. (unless someone tells me to add something.) CHECK IT OUT NOW! (finished since 30th August 2011)
Spritan
Spritan

on 9/3/2011, 8:43 pm
nowadays, most people probably do it for the money. Plus spriting is'nt a business. And if your constantly worrying about everyone else liking your animation then its gonna suck. Because most likely, your not enjoying it yourself.
Administrator
Administrator

on 9/3/2011, 9:29 pm
Everything just comes to my head. Every animation i do, Is never pre planned. Ideas are constantly in my head. It's a blessing and a curse (failing school...low attention span).
I have a main idea, random fight scenes with these 2 characters, the BG the effects are all there in my head. I go and try to make everything as close to my vision as possible. The rest is entirely improvised.

So yea, if it isn't naturally occurring in your head, then I don't know what to say. If you can at least have a controlling idea try to think of what characters are closely associated with that idea.

Watch your ass.
Spritan
Spritan

on 9/3/2011, 9:34 pm
^pretty much this

If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods, whom you and your fathers have not known, gods of any other nations, near at hand or far away, from one end of the earth to the other: do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, but kill him. Your hand shall be the first raised to slay him; the rest of the people shall join in with you. You shall stone him to death, because he sought to lead you astray from the Lord, your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that place of slavery. And all Israel, hearing of this, shall fear and never do such evil as this in your midst.
Deuteronomy 13:7-12
Spritan
Spritan

on 9/3/2011, 9:47 pm
@Eric wrote:Everything just comes to my head. Every animation i do, Is never pre planned. Ideas are constantly in my head. It's a blessing and a curse (failing school...low attention span).
I have a main idea, random fight scenes with these 2 characters, the BG the effects are all there in my head. I go and try to make everything as close to my vision as possible. The rest is entirely improvised.

So yea, if it isn't naturally occurring in your head, then I don't know what to say. If you can at least have a controlling idea try to think of what characters are closely associated with that idea.

Same here, cept for the school part, but once i cant find a way to make a scene as i pictured it, i freeze up

Spritan
Spritan

on 9/3/2011, 11:10 pm
Sometimes i also listen to songs. i go like:"Hey this could go right with this song" ad then do it. i just never add the song cos my PC is a bitch and doesn't let me xD

don't test me...
Crap being worked on:

Spritan
Spritan

on 9/3/2011, 11:12 pm
@Eric wrote:Everything just comes to my head. Every animation i do, Is never pre planned. Ideas are constantly in my head. It's a blessing and a curse (failing school...low attention span).

Yeah I do that as well except I can't make the vision right most of the time, so I alter it and change everything. But thanks man, helped me get to wits. So did all of you.

Anyway I animate because its fun and to get better, anyway I'll try and make something.

on 9/4/2011, 6:08 am
@Kane wrote:Anyway I animate because its fun and to get better

Most of us are here because when we start doing hand-drawn stuff, we already have all of the animation skills necessary, most people just need to learn how to draw properly.
Spritan
Spritan

on 9/4/2011, 10:34 am
Eric nailed it.

"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata 1959-2015
Spritan
Spritan

on 9/4/2011, 1:21 pm
I strongly agree with the rubber pencil

Administrator
Administrator

on 9/4/2011, 1:41 pm
This isn't a question you can ask and get a straight answer. There is obviously no certain way to get motivated and start animating characters and just get going. There are a lot of factors that go into this though, song choice, sprite choice, ideas and anything in between.

What helps is to pick the genre of what you want to do. Obviously action or comedy or whatever but nonetheless, pick exactly what you want to do. So, assuming you pick action, your next step is to decide, will there be a storyline? This is something not many sprite animators throw into their animations because we have the tendency to do this 'random fight' shit.

Many times, for near all sprite animators, the song they find will inspire them. Just listening to a song can give one many ideas. The song can tell a story, assuming you want to make the synching be perfect. Even the sounds, a strong animator will put his work ethic to the max. He will pick the best sounds to fit, the best song, the best background, and the sprites.

Something I always found hard though, was picking which characters to do. I hate to say this, but when you're doing LSW it kinda...doesn't matter. They basically all have the exact same sprites. But picking your characters is pretty personal. It's like you need the perfect two for your animation to be dope. I don't know what it is, but that's just how it is.

Overall, you need to just fool around with it. Then you'll be like, wow, this is what I'm gonna do. It's very hard to choose something, because we all want to have a great animation that looks amazing. I can never start a random animation because I always remember, Luffy vs. Sanji is a random fight. And that has a very professional look to it because of Eric's work ethic. Do whatever you can to think of something. And remember, drawing pictures really help. Make a storyboard, open up WordPad/NotePad and start typing up. Don't be worried about organization, you might lose your idea. Do whatever you can bro. : )

[The Return]
Spritan
Spritan

on 9/4/2011, 1:46 pm
^Strongly agree.
Patt you are now my personal favorite Swageriffic hero. (i think >.>)

don't test me...
Crap being worked on:

Administrator
Administrator

on 9/4/2011, 2:16 pm
I also, don't know about you all, but on nights where I know I have a big test tomorrow or, perhaps a big project, I always seem to be laying in bed for about 3 hours awake with all of these extreme ideas running through my brain. And I just try to remember it for the next day so when I get home I can animate it, but...I never remember. So if this happens to you, whip out a journal and start writing shit down!

[The Return]
Administrator
Administrator

on 9/4/2011, 3:38 pm
Yes, write things down. A lot of times people get good sparks at unexpected moments but they forget it before they can even concieve it again to expand it.
This happened to me too many times to count, thankfully, i can open flash and everything flos right through me. New ideas come out as I go along, no pre planning. At least not usually.

Again, i usually just have these main ideas, everything in between happens on it's own.
Like with what I'm working on now.
Here's everything that i have done.
Mario comes flying in on his kart, gets a little out of control from the jump and skids side to side swiftly and regains his track, a cannon comes out of the castle and shoots a bullet bill. Mario jumps out of his kart, jumps off the bullet bill, the bullet bill then hits the kart and blows it up, mario still in the air doing some acrobatic spins and all accidentally goes into the cannon, and gets blown away.

And what was in my head before i even opened up the program?
Mario + Kart.
So i just had that idea, and ALL OF THAT came on it's own as I was animating. New ideas just flew in to my head and into flash and After Effects, the effects the dynamic 3D camera turns and movements of all the objects the aesthetics, all of that just naturally coming out.
Even the music and sound design all comes in my head. Music from games i don't even remember anything about, and sound effects that i never even heard or had.

So just try that, just having on main Idea, look at sprites, listen to music, with that idea never leaving your head. Let everything you see somehow influence that idea to expand it, everything SHOULD naturally come out.

Watch your ass.
Spritan
Spritan

on 9/4/2011, 3:45 pm
@Eric wrote:Yes, write things down. A lot of times people get good sparks at unexpected moments but they forget it before they can even concieve it again to expand it.
This happened to me too many times to count, thankfully, i can open flash and everything flos right through me. New ideas come out as I go along, no pre planning. At least not usually.

Again, i usually just have these main ideas, everything in between happens on it's own.
Like with what I'm working on now.
Here's everything that i have done.
Mario comes flying in on his kart, gets a little out of control from the jump and skids side to side swiftly and regains his track, a cannon comes out of the castle and shoots a bullet bill. Mario jumps out of his kart, jumps off the bullet bill, the bullet bill then hits the kart and blows it up, mario still in the air doing some acrobatic spins and all accidentally goes into the cannon, and gets blown away.

And what was in my head before i even opened up the program?
Mario + Kart.
So i just had that idea, and ALL OF THAT came on it's own as I was animating. New ideas just flew in to my head and into flash and After Effects, the effects the dynamic 3D camera turns and movements of all the objects the aesthetics, all of that just naturally coming out.
Even the music and sound design all comes in my head. Music from games i don't even remember anything about, and sound effects that i never even heard or had.

So just try that, just having on main Idea, look at sprites, listen to music, with that idea never leaving your head. Let everything you see somehow influence that idea to expand it, everything SHOULD naturally come out.

Thanks, your talk has really helped me with my animating all over.

Thanks Patt as well, I appreciate the help and ideas now to start animating. Oh and thanks all other people in this topic, I didn't know this would be such a big success.
Spritan
Spritan

on 9/4/2011, 3:49 pm
Your Welcome^^
*Walks away all successful-like*

don't test me...
Crap being worked on:

Spritan
Spritan

on 9/4/2011, 6:51 pm
well im not one to give advice but here goes:
the most important thing that takes to think of an animation is what will make you go "WOW"
like for instance, when i started to make my first flash i thought what characters with what backgrounds would be perfect for each other, then i came up with characters that are perfect (i will not say for obvious reasons) but it will come too you.
My best advice is too just start off with 2 overused characters (Sonic, Shadow, Goku Vegeta, Naruto etc...) to see where your abilities are, then once u feel that ur skills are at a comfortable level, u can start animating non used characters. (Like Dragblade, or even Katekyo Hitman Reborn)

Hope this helped:)
~CJ

The Unstoppable Ala Rubra

on 9/5/2011, 11:10 am
I always write cool ideas I have
So eh
I never lose 'em
But most of the times I have terrible ideas so I don't write much
View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum